Although we had already went out for a great Valentine’s/birthday dinner, I wanted to make myself something special for my birthday. This was in addition to all the cupcakes and cake I figured I deserved this #birthdaymonth as well.
I had short rib from Hell’s Kitchen last summer in Las Vegas and it was amazing, so I wanted to try make it myself, since I never made them before. First, I had to find short ribs. Turns out, they’re not as easy to find as say, ground beef. If you’re looking, try Sobeys.
BEEF SHORT RIBS
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 bottle red wine – I used Cabernet Sauvignon but if you have a fav red, that’ll do
- 2 cups beef broth
- Herbs – 1 bay leaf, oregano, 4 sprigs thyme, 1 rosemary, 5 parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1. Salt and pepper short ribs.
2. Cook short ribs in butter in pan on high heat for 8-10 min to sear.
3. Remove meat from pan.
4. Add vegetables to pan.
5. Cook vegetables 8-10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle flour on vegetables.
7. Add wine to deglaze pan.
8. Add chicken broth and tomato paste to wine in pan.
9. Add herbs to liquids in pan and turn up heat to bring to a boil.
10. Boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. It should start smelling delicious at this point.
11. Pour over cooked meat in dutch oven or large glass pan.
12. Cook on low at 325 F for 3 to 4 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
13. Serve with mashed potatoes.
*You may want to let the beef jus cool some so you can separate it but we didn’t want to wait and it was delicious as is!
Your take on short ribs
I’d love to hear how they turned out and what’s in your favourite recipe.
xo From our bellies to yours!
GORDON RAMSAY HELL’S KITCHEN
My favourite place for beef short ribs in Las Vegas, where we eloped!
Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen, 3570 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89109, USA; 1 702 731 7373